About Magbee Contractors Supply
Magbee Contractors Supply Timeline...
It was 1954, and brothers James and Charles Magbee had come to the realization that the time was ripe for opportunity in Metro Atlanta. The area was finally coming to life after an uneasy end to the Korean Conflict in 1953, and the flood of soldiers who would soon be returning home from overseas would be looking for homes. Under the Veteran’s Adjustment Act of 1952 all who served in the war were eligible for low-cost, zero down payment home loans; this bill would enable thousands to escape the city – or the farm – and finally move to the suburbs in pursuit of the American Dream – home ownership.
To meet the rising demand for building materials, the Magbee brothers opened shop in a small hamlet located in DeKalb county known as Decatur GA. The store sat on College Avenue, and for the first few years was staffed with only seven employees. In these early days, Jim and Charles had a delivery fleet of three flatbed trucks and one pickup truck.
Six years after opening in Decatur, Magbee Brothers Lumber had outgrown the tiny College Avenue location, and moved further from the city, closer to the suburbs that were bubbling up all over DeKalb, Fulton and Gwinnett counties. They choose a mill town – Scottdale – that was situated near the major east-west corridor at that time, US Highway 78. Once on Highway 78, it was a relatively quick ride from Scottdale to most destinations, including downtown Atlanta, Stone Mountain, Snellville, Tucker, and even Athens. And if the materials needed to go north or south, then US 29 was right around the corner.
By the mid-80’s, business was booming, and Magbee Brothers Lumber was riding a wave of prosperity, but it was becoming increasingly difficult for the company to service the builders who were working the suburbs in Gwinnett, Fulton and Cobb. Cobb and Gwinnett were consistently posting record numbers of building permits every year, while the number of permits issued in DeKalb county was dwindling. Once again sensing that the time was ripe for opportunity, the leadership of Magbee Brothers Lumber decided to leave Scottdale and head to the heart of Gwinnett County in the City of Duluth.
In 1989, a familiar face around the lumberyard assumed leadership of the company: Bob Magbee, son of Charles Magbee. Bob had grown up in the business, spending afternoons and summers with his father and uncle making deliveries and unloading railcars. After graduating from college, Bob had started his own millwork shop in nearby Tucker to supply custom doors and windows to builders. When his uncle decided to retire, Bob moved his shop into the Duluth facility, and took on the role of president of Magbee Brothers Lumber. He changed the name to Magbee Contractors Supply that same year to reflect the company’s vision of being the supplier of choice for builders and contractors in the Metro Atlanta area.
By the start of the 21st century, Magbee Contractors Supply had outgrown the Duluth facility. They opened a sister location in Cherokee county to service the Cobb and other outlying areas, but the relentless traffic on Pleasant Hill Road had failed to ease the challenges of building material deliveries for the Duluth operation. The county was discussing the installation of a median on the busy highway, and the construction of an overpass at the nearby Buford Highway intersection had been on the table for years. Either of these projects would be crippling to the company.
It was time to move – again. Barrow County was the spot chosen for the next facility.
Just outside Winder, in a rural community named Carl, twenty acres of pasture was transformed over the course of a year into a bustling lumberyard, complete with a multi-million dollar railroad siding. And on a weekend in early 2003, Magbee Contractors Supply closed down the Duluth location, and began operations in their new facility.
From Decatur to Winder, with a few stops in between, the little storefront opened by the Magbee brothers in 1954 has since grown into a $100 million dollar business, with the primary facility and a truss plant in Winder plus the Ball Ground store to cover Northwest Atlanta.
Magbee Brothers Lumber and Supply was founded by brothers James and Charles Magbee
The company relocated from Decatur to Scottdale
Magbee Brothers moves from Scottdale to Duluth
Robert Magbee assumes leadership of Magbee Brothers Lumber and Supply; changes name to Magbee Contractors Supply
Ball Ground Facility in Cherokee County is opened
Magbee Contractors Supply moves to Winder, located in Barrow County
Truss plant opened in Winder